Server Page Reverted Back, More testing needed for new page ×

Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Public

Public

Please enter your display name

Sign in to follow this  
[PDE] The Road

Fallout New Vegas

Fallout New Vegas

Fallout 4's older brother, or should i say adopted older brother, 'cause for some reason, it seems Bethesda doesn't have much love for it... So, any of you played this game, what did you like/dislike about it, and why? Best/worst companions? Any mods you liked and would recommend?

I+want+this+as+a+wallpaper+_dd0be3dc11169e0c6022173ff002e58f.jpg

c30.jpg

Its tough to pick between this and fallout 3.  Fallout 4 was fun, but it was kinda meh storywise, i think once i explored everything i shelved it.  New Vegas was really good as far as the story and as far as your choices having real outcomes.  There's also i think four different endings based on the decisions you make as to who to side with.  It was really fun in that regard.  The only thing i didn't like about it is that there is a lot of empty space. Fallout 3 had a large cityscape to explore, as well as wandering through all the subway tunnels and vaults.  New Vegas has a couple vaults, but there's so much open/empty space.

I think if you're looking for more of an RP'ing experience, this one is great, but if you liked exploring the terrain, it is somewhat disappointing.  The game also kind of lays out the path you're supposed to take to get to New Vegas; you can't just run straight there when you start the game, it brings you south around some mountains, and then back up to towards the city.  Every possible way is blocked off by either giant radscorpions, deathclaws or cazadores (you will HATE the cazadores). That said, it is a great game and i would recommend it highly. 

Also, i never roll with companions since i usually stealthed around the map, and i never did much modding in this one either, so idk.  I had a couple of the DLCs and never really got into them, but the base game was really fun.

I didn't like the color pallet or how empty the world felt. The story was very meh as well

76561198040594770.png

tumblr_m2ux7ti3aQ1r98lguo2_r2_500.gif

1 hour ago, [PDE]Scrinn said:

I didn't like the color pallet or how empty the world felt.

This and constant crashing kept me off of Fallout 3. So, I didn't even get to New Vegas, but I've heard so much good about it, even from [PDE]Taj recently who went on and on about it. Yeah, I hated the color palette.

Subscribe For Great Music!:https://bit.ly/2X0lejA | WIRE App (android, ios, windows): @Kersey | Tha Clan Song (Music Video) | PDE Youtube Channel

[21:28] |NßK| LadyCinell: i eat kid like that all days at 4 pm
[14:23] [PDE]TAJ: i want to eat hot dog [14:23] [PDE]TAJ: and american burger
[01:33] dancingmad: Nah, but northern minnesota. Trees and paul bunyan and shit.
[DEAD]XmohamedX4gamer: i hate this map its very very players
[11:16] [PDE]TAJ: i wish i could turn off the repeating message of scofields friendship story

The legendary Xfire messenger^^

well Fallout vet here:
Fallout: NV is the true Fallout 3, made by same devs of Fo1 and 2.
Fo3 was made after beth bought the rights to the game and quite frankly, they didnt "get it" even if they stayed true to many of visual aspects.
for having only year and a half to get the game done, they did a great job at Obsidian and did an excellent job with the story and gameplay, the only problems I really have with the game is that its stuck on PoS engine that is gamebryo
FO 1 and 2 go on sale often on GoG and were given away for free few times, they arent perfect or pretty, but have the atmosphere that NV recreated when it attempted to be a sequel, something that FO3 and FO4 failed to do.

• Upvote 1

I guess I'm the odd one out of everyone because I thoroughly enjoyed fo3 and 4

76561198040594770.png

11 hours ago, [PDE]Scrinn said:

I didn't like the color pallet or how empty the world felt. The story was very meh as well

Color palette? That is always a weird reason for me to list, and i heard it for Fallout 3, Fallout NV, and Skyrim.  I just take the color palette in stride as an element that is supposed to add to the atmosphere. Skyrim is a dark and frozen territory so black and gray are fine, F3 has a radioactive wasteland, so green is OK, FNV has the Nevada and its Mojave desert, so yellow is natural. The only thing that irritated me when i started playing was the radio, as I am not a fan of country western music, but in the end even that adds to the atmosphere and the feel of a post-apocalyptic western that Obsidian was going for. Oh, and the anachronistic faction like Caesar's legion, who felt totally out of place, that also i didn't like at first. But the story? That you listed that as a flaw makes me suspect that you gave up on the game too soon, and didn't finish it. That's OK, i didn't finish it either, but even halfway in the game i can tell you that the storytelling and the dialogues are better than anything in the other modern Fallout games. 

Courier Six: "How did you get to be a member of BoS?"

Veronica: "More sexual favors than I can even count. I am still tired from it".

Edited by [PDE] The Road

Legion didnt feel out of place if you consider theme of tribalism present in games and being literaly represented in FO1 and FO2
in first fallout you begin as a vault dweller on mission to find a water chip for your vault, or population will run out of water.
in second fallout you are a tribal who has no idea about technology and civilisation and its reflected in dialogue and story.
what Legion did was unite the tribes they conquered under a single banner and created a basic form of society, living under Legion was safer than living in your tribe, but it doesnt mean it was the best option for you.
main themes of the game are political ideologies, conflict of new vs old and tribalism.
give it another shot sometime, there are hundreds of mods and some change the things you hate, like yellow filter over everything, radio being just country music and map being empty

5 hours ago, Mike_J92 said:

Legion didnt feel out of place if you consider theme of tribalism present in games and being literaly represented in FO1 and FO2
in first fallout you begin as a vault dweller on mission to find a water chip for your vault, or population will run out of water.
in second fallout you are a tribal who has no idea about technology and civilisation and its reflected in dialogue and story.
what Legion did was unite the tribes they conquered under a single banner and created a basic form of society, living under Legion was safer than living in your tribe, but it doesnt mean it was the best option for you.
main themes of the game are political ideologies, conflict of new vs old and tribalism.
give it another shot sometime, there are hundreds of mods and some change the things you hate, like yellow filter over everything, radio being just country music and map being empty

Yeah, Legion made sense once you learn more about them and when you talk to Caesar himself, and he was quite more than i expected him to be, not Kotor 2 Kreia level of good, but still good. Too bad that New Vegas is basically a rushed and an unfinished game, which actually makes it even more impressive. And yes, ideologies. People still argue about who is the best choice, House, NCR or the Legion. As for mods, tried Project California, it starts good, it follows the Fallout 2 lore, but the ending is unsatisfactory. These look interesting, hopefully they are finished in the next two years:

The Chosen's Way, a Fallout 2 redone by a group of Russian modders:

Fallout the Frontier:

Will try some day. I am guessing you already played ARCANUM: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, made by the creators of the original Fallout, Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky?

Edited by [PDE] The Road

not yet, my backlog is pretty big and now I am tackling metro2033, then its sequel, then next on menu are resident evil 2 remake and ace combat 7

I also enjoy FO4, but I agree with you Mike and The Road although I haven't played the first two games and the third one prevented me from getting into it. I've always heard and read New Vegas was the one. I can see how you guys feel about it. Similar to Saints Row 3 and 4 being touted by newcomers that they're the best of the series when they lack so much and have less of everything. The map itself is 25% the size of Saints Row 2's and it's plain and uninteresting. SR2 may be an old game, but it's more of a detailed game in all areas than 3 and 4 combined - strong story and varied open world environment.

So, although I didn't touch the New Vegas train due to FO3, I can understand. FO4 stands as a good game on it's own and with Bethesda's games, you'll always need mods, but I can believe y'all, especially when original devs are involved.

The Road, when it comes to color palette, I know for those particular games, it's related to the game world and I get it. It's just that I've been playing games for so long and seeing everything in brown and gray, I almost always avoid games like that because it's hard for me to play something like that for a long time (that's how bad it was years ago - that and WWII games everywhere). It would have to stand out like a Fallout or an Elder Scrolls game or something for me to still give it a chance. I think the main places of a game should have that based on the location and event, but also have varied locations that are different in tone as well. They removed almost all color out of WAW except for little browns and yellow. It almost looks black and white. Although they went silly and over the top with later CODs with colors, somewhere in the middle would be fine.

Phew... My bad for the off topic haha

Subscribe For Great Music!:https://bit.ly/2X0lejA | WIRE App (android, ios, windows): @Kersey | Tha Clan Song (Music Video) | PDE Youtube Channel

[01:33] dancingmad: Nah, but northern minnesota. Trees and paul bunyan and shit.
[11:16] [PDE]TAJ: i wish i could turn off the repeating message of scofields friendship story

I've been playing vampyr recently and it's odd have a game be black, grey, white, and a major emphasis on red

76561198040594770.png

4 hours ago, [PDE]Scrinn said:

I've been playing vampyr recently and it's odd have a game be black, grey, white, and a major emphasis on red

Maybe it's an artistic take on whatever Vampyr is (Vampire?)

dunno if any of you guys would be interested, but there is a mod called "a tale of two wastelands" that merges New Vegas and the Capital Wasteland as one game.  I haven't used it myself since those games are so life-consuming and I've played them both already, but it always piqued my interest. Might be worth looking into.

1 hour ago, [PDE]PaulKersey said:

Maybe it's an artistic take on whatever Vampyr is (Vampire?)

The name of the game is vampyr but it's about vampires

76561198040594770.png

Yeah then it's a play on the color scheme, especially since there's lots of blood (I expect). I've seen Dracula art with that color scheme.

19 hours ago, [PDE]PaulKersey said:

Yeah then it's a play on the color scheme, especially since there's lots of blood (I expect). I've seen Dracula art with that color scheme.

Yeah def.

• Like 1

76561198040594770.png

On 9/16/2019 at 1:57 PM, Mike_J92 said:

not yet, my backlog is pretty big and now I am tackling metro2033, then its sequel, then next on menu are resident evil 2 remake and ace combat 7

Well, considering that you are a veteran of F1 & F2, this would be right up your alley. This is a game i would love to see redone like the Fallout was. Or at least done as a mod for Skyrim or Fallout 4 would be OK. People said F4 will be Skyrim with guns,  and Arcanum is a fantasy world with orcs, elves and dwarfs, but unlike Skyrim it is entered 19 century, industrial revolution and steam engines and guns are taking over. Also, you might want to try Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, if you haven't already: 

On 9/16/2019 at 11:34 PM, [PDE]PaulKersey said:

I also enjoy FO4, but I agree with you Mike and The Road although I haven't played the first two games and the third one prevented me from getting into it. I've always heard and read New Vegas was the one. I can see how you guys feel about it. Similar to Saints Row 3 and 4 being touted by newcomers that they're the best of the series when they lack so much and have less of everything. The map itself is 25% the size of Saints Row 2's and it's plain and uninteresting. SR2 may be an old game, but it's more of a detailed game in all areas than 3 and 4 combined - strong story and varied open world environment.

So, although I didn't touch the New Vegas train due to FO3, I can understand. FO4 stands as a good game on it's own and with Bethesda's games, you'll always need mods, but I can believe y'all, especially when original devs are involved.

The Road, when it comes to color palette, I know for those particular games, it's related to the game world and I get it. It's just that I've been playing games for so long and seeing everything in brown and gray, I almost always avoid games like that because it's hard for me to play something like that for a long time (that's how bad it was years ago - that and WWII games everywhere). It would have to stand out like a Fallout or an Elder Scrolls game or something for me to still give it a chance. I think the main places of a game should have that based on the location and event, but also have varied locations that are different in tone as well. They removed almost all color out of WAW except for little browns and yellow. It almost looks black and white. Although they went silly and over the top with later CODs with colors, somewhere in the middle would be fine.

Phew... My bad for the off topic haha

Of course you understand what i am talking about, because if i ask you which game was better, Morrowind or Skyrim, i know what your answer would be. Same thing here. Also, although i like NV better than F3 and F4, I am not one of those people who would belittle them. Yeah F4 is a pretty empty as far as story and dialogue go compared to NV, and all the followers except Valentine are boring,  but i would never say it' is a bad game. From what i hear, if you go hardcore mode and add difficulty mods, it turns into a great survival horror game. I pretty much did this with Skyrim. After the first impression wears off, vanilla Skyrim is pretty bland, but throw in "revenge of the enemies" and Tendo's SkyRe mods, and fighting two mudcrabs turns into an epic battle. 

On 9/17/2019 at 4:59 AM, the_slim_reefer said:

dunno if any of you guys would be interested, but there is a mod called "a tale of two wastelands" that merges New Vegas and the Capital Wasteland as one game.  I haven't used it myself since those games are so life-consuming and I've played them both already, but it always piqued my interest. Might be worth looking into.

I tried it. The good about the TTW mod is that it lends FNV's stability to Fallout 3, so the game CTD's much, much less. it also gives F3 the mechanics of FNV, which means you will be able to aim down the sight, modify weapons, etc. The bad is that it is incompatible with many other mods, and you will have to be careful about what you add after it.

• Upvote 2

good taste in games @[PDE] The Road already played through VtmB multiple times tho, will drop some recommendations myself for other people here:
Mount and Blade: Warband https://www.gog.com/game/mount_blade_warband

genre: Third Person Action/RPG/Strategy

Amazing game despite being quite ugly and made with barely any budget, started out as multiplayer expansion to original M&B but eventually became its own standalone expansion to the game during development with expanded map and new faction. Combat is something people may know from games like Chivalry, where direction of your mouse decides what attack you are going to execute, as a results you also have directional blocks, system goes even deeper when it comes to multiplayer because some really dedicated people play that. singleplayer has a simple goal, unite the continent, but its up to you if you will even bother with it. you can play as anyone, from nobleman to bandit, to a trader to a peasant. I strongly recommend using diplomacy mod, its basically vanila+ with some great quality of life improvements and further expansion of actual diplomacy parts of the game, because running a kingdom isnt all about shanking other lords.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series https://www.gog.com/game/stalker_shadow_of_chernobyl

genre: FPS/RPG/Horror

I dont care what you heard about Call of Chernobyl, play it last. actual playing order of the games is same as release order, meaning:
Shadow of Chernobyl -> Clear Sky -> Call of Pripyat
some people probably heard of stalker series, for those who didnt, its as if you took Fallout, placed it in Chernobyl exclusion zone, and put more emphasis on Horror and FPS elements of the game. I hate using this term but this is basically something in lines of "Dark Souls of FPS Games", s.t.a.l.k.e.r. games are very atmospheric, difficult, immersive and unique in a sense that no game I have played got close to level of atmosphere and immersion s.t.a.l.k.e.r. offers. you may be tempted to play with mods on first playthrough, I strongly recommend against it except for "Sky Reclamation Project" for Clear Sky which is strongly recommended as even after many patches the game is still quite buggy.

Max Payne https://store.steampowered.com/app/12140/Max_Payne/

genre: TPS

I could recommend whole Max Payne series, but its first game that always stands out to me and I keep coming back to it, its atmosphere and tight gameplay (which was refined in second game) are great, but its storytelling that takes the spotlight here. this game has a lot of problems running on modern systems, you will have to go through community patches to get it to work, but it is worth it in the end. bonus points if you are playing this in the winter after a heavy snowfall https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Max_Payne

Cave Story https://www.cavestory.org/

genre: platformer - freeware

"back in my days we didnt call them indies, we called them freeware!"
Cave Story is a platformer made by one guy over 5 years in his spare time, it released in 2004 and it still has an active modding community (made a mod myself a while back just to try it)
there is a steam version, but whats the point of getting it if there is a LEGAL free version, yes kids back in the day we called these FREEWARE and there were plenty of them, but now everyone insist on putting bloody browser games onto steam and charging ridiculous amount of money for them. when I first played the game I got off demo disc in PCGamer mag, I expected a nice platformer with cutesy graphics, something I was used to back in the day as a kid playing NES, then it turned out its not entirely cute game and has few grim moments. gameplay is tight, multiple weapons with unique leveling system where you pick up EXP dropped from enemies to level guns up, so they do more damage, but they loose level and power down when you take hits, its a very easy to get into metroidvania type of platformer that can get pretty challenging, and absolutely soul crushing in final levels.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.