News Ticker
  • Welcome to PDE/PDG Forums
  • Applications are currently open for PDG.
  • New? Make an introduction post!
  • Chatbox

Do NOT ask for unbans or bans in the shoutbox support will only be given in actual posts

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.
Nicktator

My Computer's CD Tray Stopped Working

Question

My Computer's CD Tray Stopped Working

Alright,

So I just briefly mentioned this in passing on the chatbox a day or so ago, but Zuko suggested I post it here in hopes of potentially getting an answer, which I was kind of on the fence about because I really don't know if there's anything that can be done. I also just want to mention the following before I get into the problem:

• The computer I play on is my family's PC, so we all share it.
  • My copy of World at War is a physical disk. I guess most people nowadays just do everything digitally via Steam, but I prefer to have a disk if possible.
  • I know absolutely nothing about computers, so please take that into consideration when offering me your suggestions 🤣

ALRIGHT, so...

The other day my computer's CD/DVD disk drive decided to just stop working out of the blue. I'd been playing World at War a bit that afternoon, decided to hop off, then decided to come back later and play again. When I popped the game back into the computer, it didn't load up (so the computer didn't recognize the disk was inserted), and when I tried to eject the disk tray to try again, it wouldn't open. I continuously tried to open it via the eject button on the tray but to no avail. Thus I turned to google in hopes of finding a solution to my problem (also to no avail lol). I did some searches and followed the instructions of some suggestions; I checked the CD drive under the control panel and device manager, and even saw that it was mentioned as "working properly" by the computer. Interestingly though, the device was not showing up in the File Explorer under the "This PC" tab. It should be mentioned that the little green light on the outside of the drive was also not blinking. Frustrated, I gave up. I came back the next day wondering if I'd have the same problem. With the computer having rested over the night, I was able to open the tray via the button with no problems. I put the disk in and closed the tray, but nothing happened. Then I had the same problem as the day before, where I was unable to eject the disk tray. It hasn't been working since.

I really have no idea what the problem here could be, but considering the light isn't blinking I think it's just a power issue (so something regarding the tray's power cables/wires or whatever). That's just merely speculation though. Like I mentioned at the top, I play on my family's shared computer. None of my family members have expressed any desire to get the thing fixed (too much of a hassle and too expensive). That being said, I don't know what this means for me at the moment. I might be out of action on the server indefinitely (which sucks) since my copy of the game is a disk. My brother has suggested that I might as well just purchase the game on Steam. I really don't want to though considering I have a perfectly good copy of the game that works and years worth of stats are on that disk. I'd have to start from scratch on a new copy (not that big of a deal honestly), and I think I'd have to use a different name going forward (such as "TheNicktator" since "Nicktator" would be considered taken; this is a bigger deal lol). Regarding this, is it possible for me to go into the files of my disk copy and copy and transfer all of my saved data to the new Steam copy's files, or will buying a brand new copy off Steam erase my saved data from the disk copy since it's already installed on the computer?

So many questions, no answers. I'll see you on the server when I see you lol.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions guys.

Edited by Nicktator

7 answers to this question

There are a ton of different possible problems that could be the cause of the disc tray itself to not work. I can't personally give any advice on how to fix it apart from maybe checking the cables and plugging the disc drive into a different SATA port on the motherboard (SATA ports look like the pic below).

L3XRD.jpg

If that doesn't work, then fixing the hardware issues would be more expensive than just buying the game off steam. Disc readers are about 20-30 dollars on amazon, while the game on steam is 19.99.

I have no idea how discs store player data, but it's worth checking the folder shown in this post to see if your data might be stored there. Others with WaW's disc version might be able to explain further about player data.

Edited by Emerald

The game has to be installed to play, so it can be run without disc, i assume you are running the latest version of WAW,

search for  Call of duty WAW No dvd/ fixed Exe.

Thats what I use (have done for years) to play without disc on a non steam version of the game,

if you have trouble finding it, pm m8, and let me know what Language version you have.

Regards PJ

You dont need disk for MP. Simply find where it is installed and click CoDWaWmp to launch. You wont be able to start single player but, mp is where it is at anyway.... 

VoQloRZ.jpg

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Emerald said:

I have no idea how discs store player data, but it's worth checking the folder shown in this post to see if your data might be stored there. Others with WaW's disc version might be able to explain further about player data.

Disk has nothing to do with saving player data.

2 hours ago, Sammas09 said:

You dont need disk for MP. Simply find where it is installed and click CoDWaWmp to launch. You wont be able to start single player but, mp is where it is at anyway.... 

VoQloRZ.jpg

This actually worked. Thanks a bunch man! I honestly didn't know you didn't need the disk to launch online, and that it could simply be launched via the files. Thanks again man!

yeah... this one of the points i want telling you :D

You need only for single player or Coop Modus ( Zombies ) the disk!

But there is a way too to avoid disk using.

If you are interested and playing single modus or coop pm me.

grettings

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.