collapse

Author Topic: advice for server setup ( console auto msgs, etc )  (Read 373 times)

advice for server setup ( console auto msgs, etc )
« on: September 16, 2021, 05:28:54 AM »

Pvt. Ryan

• View Profile
Hello. I'm a new WaW player and I like your server. The people there are nice, mostly. I noticed that most WaW servers are empty so I thought I'd get my own public server setup( for dm, not tdm ) and maybe force my friends to play on it for dm and the PDG server for tdm. I plan to get one dm or tdm server for each CoD eventually( and maybe a website, later on - I'm not really interested in starting an actual clan, tho ).

Anyway, while playing on the PDG ( and other ) servers I noticed console auto msgs poping up whenever people join, type keywords in chat, etc., I was wondering how to set those kinds of auto msgs up on my own server without using Punkbuster? I did some searching about those kinds of server msgs but all the links/guides are old and rely on things like pb_sv_task but since I don't want to enable punkbuster that's not an option( and it seems fairly limited besides ).

Could you tell me how you set these types of msgs up on the PDG servers? Or direct me to an up-to-date guide about how to do so?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you for reading, and for keeping WaW alive. :)

Edit: Sorry if this wasn't posted in the right area. Seemed like most appropriate place...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 05:32:30 AM by Pvt. Ryan »

Re: advice for server setup ( console auto msgs, etc )
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 12:54:24 PM »

PDG

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You may want to look into a tool like Manu Admin or B3 for those things. I don't want to discourage you, but unless they get the Steam key situation fixed and new players can join once again or you have lots of friends, it may just be better to play on one of the DM servers out there.
[21:28] |NßK| LadyCinell: i eat kid like that all days at 4 pm
    [14:23] [PDE]TAJ: i want to eat hot dog [14:23] [PDE]TAJ: and american burger
    [01:33] dancingmad: Nah, but northern minnesota. Trees and paul bunyan and ****.
    [DEAD]XmohamedX4gamer: i hate this map its very very players

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 11:58:54 PM »

Pvt. Ryan

• View Profile
Glanced through the B3 docs, I think it's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you sir! :)

Yeah, I really hope they get the situation sorted. The retail DVD versions still work fine. That's the route I went. I always prefer to have a physical copy of a game if it's an option. I didn't even know about the Steam Key thing until someone told me in the game chat.

I'm already discouraged after 4 days of running around by myself, lol. It's kool though.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 05:22:21 AM »

Pvt. Ryan

• View Profile
...I don't want to discourage you, but unless they get the Steam key situation fixed and new players can join once again or you have lots of friends, it may just be better to play on one of the DM servers out there.

Actually, it's not so bad. Even with doing zero promoting on Steam, Reddit, Facebook etc., a few players have joined from time to time. Had about 12 or so players on at once Sunday night for one round(Avg. that night was 6-8). I think weekends will probably be the time when most people are active.

Honestly, dm is so dead at times, I can just sit there alone and someone will join eventually because I'm the only person in any dm server at that time. Once there's 2 of us, a 3rd will join, then a 4th, etc.

Most who join are glad to see someone running a new server. Even more so when I tell them I started it only a couple days after getting the game, haha.

* Search

* Donations

$150 MONTHLY
Looking to become a REGULAR/VIP? >>READ THIS<<
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal